The Merkur Futur adjustable safety razor is the perfect blend of modern design and functionality. The Futur has an adjustment dial on the handle which will allow the user to easily set the blade angle to suit the individual users’ needs.
The Merkur comes with adjustable double edge razor, polished Chrome Finishing and compatible with all other double edge razor blades.
Merkur has been fashioning this adjustable safety razor since the 1980s to give the wet shaver options in his razor, and once you have found your favorite blade you have even more choice with its grooming essential, as it allows you to dial in the perfect shave.
A twist to the handle changes the gap between the blade and the bar giving you a more or less aggressive shave as one’s need demands.
This gem is chrome plated, with a polished finish, with a length of 4.4 inches, and a weight of 126 grams.
Men with moderate to coarse beards will find this razor a handy tool that can replace several safety razors, as it does not look like any DE razor in the market right now.
From the way, you load the blade down to the aesthetics, the nice smooth finish, the long and wide handle all makes this product exceptional.
I’d say this razor isn’t for beginners but if you follow the guidelines on how to properly use this product in this review you will be able to go up the ladder so to speak in terms of aggressiveness without having to buy another razor.
Features of the Merkur Futur razor
- Adjustable razor: You can adjust the aggressiveness by turning the handle from setting 1 to setting 6
- Comes in brushed chrome satin, gold plated chrome and chrome finish
- Weighs around 4.4 ounces and
- 4 inches long
- It is adjustable and gives users a lot of flexibility in terms of aggressiveness
- The good weight allows it to do most of the work
- The long handle makes it great for men with large hands
- This product is a great looking one
- The bulky head may give you some trouble in the nose and lip area, and the clip on the head is not the best at locking the blade in place
- No knurling
- You have to be careful when adjusting the settings, and avoid doing it with a wet hand in order not to cut yourself.
Proper Way Of Loading The Blade on a Futur
1: Pop off the top plate with your thumb.
2: Separate the top plate and the body and get the blade.
3: Insert the blade on the razor
4: Pop the top plate back in place.
The Futur is unique. It comes with 6 adjustable settings that reveal more of the blade every step up.
At the lowest setting of 1, the razor will give you a relatively mild shave. In the aggressiveness scale of 1 to 10, the lowest setting of the Merkur will more or less equate to an aggressiveness level of 3 or 4.
Lowering the setting down to 1 is a great technique to use if your neck area is sensitive since a less aggressive setting will result in less irritation.
When adjusting the setting, make sure your fingers are dry, or the razor could slip and cut you. Also, always hold it on the sides of the head away from the sharp edges.
Unlike other non-adjustable Merkur razors that have to knurl on their handle, the Futur utilizes a smooth handle with only an indentation as the primary source of grip.
Merkur expects users to hold this safety razor at exactly that area when shaving since that is where the balance point is located.
While this provides ample grip, it would have been nicer for Merkur to add some knurling for additional support just in case.
Where to buy
The Merkur Futur is available at online retailers like West Coast Shaving and Maggard Razors. But to get the absolute best deal, you may have to buy on Amazon.
The Merkur Futur adjustable is great for experienced wet shavers looking for a tool that would give them some flexibility in terms of adjusting the aggressiveness of their shave. Put it in a higher setting and get a pretty close shave.
The Futur is used the same way as other Merkur safety razors.
- Apply shaving lather on your face covering your beard area properly.
- Then position the razor’s blade at 30 degrees against your skin and with a little pressure slide it.
- You don’t have to apply a high amount of pressure as the weight of this razor creates enough amount of pressure for a clean shave.
- You can always change the blade exposure as different parts of your face have different beard density.
- Adjust the aggression accordingly and once you finish with your first shave, do it all over again to experience a super clean shave.