Add these crispy cauliflower wings to your snack rotation to improve the excitement.
Health Benefits of Cauliflower
Cauliflower is one of the cruciferous family, as well as broccoli, kale and cabbage. Cauliflower is an excellent source of choline, dietary fiber, omega-3 fatty acids, manganese, phosphorus, and biotin.
It is a very good source of vitamin C, vitamin B6, vitamin K, folate and pantothenic acid. In addition, it is a good source of vitamin B2, protein, vitamin B1, niacin, and magnesium.
It contains a broad spectrum of antioxidants which helps lower the risk of free radicals in our cells. These free radicals causes oxidative stress which is a risk factor for development of most cancer cells.
There are several studies linking cauliflower-containing diets to cancer prevention, especially bladder cancer, breast cancer, colon cancer, prostate cancer, and ovarian cancer.
Cauliflower contains omega 3, and is also an excellent source of vitamin K, both of which are anti-inflammatory nutrients.
Similar to chronic oxidative stress, chronic unwanted inflammation in the body can significantly increase our risk of cancers. It can also increase our risk of other chronic diseases, especially cardiovascular diseases.
Cauliflower also contains a good amount of fiber, making it a great choice of support for the digestive system. It further contains phytonutrients that can lose and release sulfur compounds with remarkable odor, when heated.
This odor becomes stronger with increased temperature or cooking time. Thus, if you want to reduce this odor and nutrient loss, while retaining the vegetable’s crisp texture, then cook the cauliflower for a short period of time.
For The Wings:
- 1 head of cauliflower that is cut into large florets
- 1 1/4 cups chickpea flour
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- A pinch of salt
- Fresh cracked pepper
- Preheat the oven to 450°F degrees.
- Cut cauliflower into large florets.
- In a large glass bowl, whisk together chickpea flour, water, garlic powder, salt, and pepper, ensuring that a very thick batter is achieved.
- Add cauliflower to the bowl and toss with clean hands, making sure to get the batter in all the crevasses.
- Then, place cauliflower florets on a lined baking sheet.
- Use a spoon to scoop any remaining batter in the bottom of the bowl on top of each piece of cauliflower.
- Place pan in the oven, and
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes.
For The Ranch:
- 1 cup of cashews that is soaked for at least 8 hours
- 1 tbs nutritional yeast
- 2 garlic cloves
- juice from 1/2 of a lemon
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbs chopped fresh dill
- 1 tbs chopped fresh chives
- Salt and pepper to improve the taste
- Add cashews, nutritional yeast, garlic, lemon juice, milk, vinegar, salt, and pepper in a blender.
- Blend on high speed until mixture is completely smooth.
- Pour into a glass bowl.
- Whisk in chopped dill and chives, then
- Cover and set in the refrigerator.
For The Buffalo Sauce:
- 1 cup of hot sauce
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- 1 tbs coconut aminos
- 1 tbs agave nectar
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
1. Add all ingredients into a pot.
2. Heat up to allow coconut oil to melt.
3. When melted, take off from heat and set aside.
4. Place cauliflower wings into a large bowl.
5. Pour desired amount of buffalo sauce over wings, and toss with a large spoon.
6. Serve with ranch dip.
- Cauliflower contains natural substances called purines, which can be broken down to form uric acid. Therefore excessive consumption or intake of purine containing foods is not recommended, especially for people who suffer from purine related problems like goutand kidney stones.
- Cauliflower is sometimes referred to as goitrogenic food. This means that cauliflower are food that causes enlargement of the thyroid So if you have thyroid issues, you may want to limit cauliflower intake.