Lower back pain can have a lot of causes, but back braces for lower back pain provide additional support to the lumbar area, which helps alleviate the pain.
Sometimes, the symptoms can disappear completely, especially if the pain was taken care of on time.
Posture braces, also known as “clavicle braces”, are medical devices that assist individuals with poor posture or shoulder slump by providing upper body support, serving as a gentle reminder to not slouch in the process.
A back posture brace works by limiting the muscles from overworking, and also cue the muscles to stay in a particular position that allows for best postural alignment.
Physicians and therapists often prescribe a back brace during healing from back injuries, in order to limit the motion of the back muscles and the spine.
This is to ensure that healing occurs in the bony structures of the lumbar (lower back and spine), and that torn muscles or ligaments and tendons are not further used.
Low back pain may occur during the overuse of a muscle group.
The effectiveness of using a back brace
Studies have shown that the most common reasons people use back brace are: onset of acute low back pain, chronic low back pain, post-surgery check, and to prevent the progression of scoliosis.
The benefits of Using a Back Brace includes:
- Lumbar support braces can be very helpful after an initial low back injury by limiting movement of the spine in the low back area. The restricted movement will allow some back injuries to heal faster by relieving excessive demand placed on the joints of that spinal area. Back braces can also make transitional movements, such as going from a sitting to a standing position, more comfortable during an episode of back pain.
- Back braces used after surgery or immediate injury, are essential for spine stabilization.
- Back braces users have reported that the braces support their abdomen, improve their abs and posture and taken some of the load off of their lower back.
- For workers that need to stay in one position for a very long period of time, the use of back brace will help you to remember to take care of your posture, as the brace acts as a reminder to the brain and body to activate the lower back muscles while seated to keep their posture aligned.
- The back bracer help relieves the nuisance of lower back pain, help you gain control over the movements of your spine and the forces that act on it. It also helps heal soft tissue injuries such as muscle strain and torn ligaments and help you avoid future injury from repetitive movement or sudden motion.
Some examples of back brace styles
- NB Measure Self Around Waist (at Bellybutton Height)-Fits 34"- 40." Therapeutic. A1. Safe. Drug-Free
- FDA Reg. The Stimulation of Blood Circulation Improves Energy and Health of Cells For Cellular Detox
- It Promotes Cell Renewal + Collagen, Crucial to Our Overall Wellbeing. Collagen Depletes With Aging
- Customize Fitting - Outer Elastic Tension Straps For Abdomen and Back Support. Improving Metabolism
- A Natural Product. Flexible, and Washable Belt. Plus 'Learn to Heal Through Magnetic Therapy' eBook
- 👍 IMMEDIATE BACK PAIN RELIEF: BraceUP back support brace features dual adjustment straps to provide customized fit and compression. It gives you immediate pain relief from the lower back, scoliosis, herniated disc, and muscle pain. We stand...
- 👍 SUFFICIENT SUPPORT FOR THE BACK: BraceUP back brace features eight-firm support stays that keep everything in place, giving you sufficient support in the lower back areas you need it most. These stays hold in place snugly against your back,...
- 👍 FULL RANGE OF MOVEMENT: BraceUP Stabilizing Back Brace is the best option for comfortable lumbar support while still allowing for a full range of movement. Whether it is heavy lifting, gym workout, light exercise, or just doing housework, our...
- 👍 LIGHTWEIGHT, BREATHABLE AND LOW MAINTENANCE: BraceUP back belt brace is made of lightweight but super durable materials. The mesh panel material we used can release excess heat and moisture, so you won't feel like being heavily wrapped and...
- 👍 DISCREET AND STAY IN PLACE: The waist support belt can be easily worn under clothes thanks to its anatomical and low profile design. Our premium soft-touch inner lining feels very comfortable. In fact, you won't even notice it's there, but...
- High Quality Back Support Belt - Available in Large and Medium Sizes
- Excellent for relieving lower back pain through strain reduction
- Provides strong back support & finely stitched along the edges and velcro for durability
- Used for sports & everyday activities to provide support & reduce unwanted twisting of the spine
- Also used by motorcyclists, bicyclists, gardeners and golfers
Last update on 2020-10-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Upper back and shoulder support:
This was originally designed to support horseback riders to improve their posture while riding.
You can expect that a back brace that supports your upper back should help you to stand straight, breathe freely and more effectively, and naturally realign your spinal cord.
Full back and shoulder support:
This brace wraps around the lower back, attaching at the front to protect your lumbar region.
It features shoulder straps that help pull you into proper posture while also realigning your spine.
Hidden lower back support:
This best work for people who experience occasional lower back pain or overall muscle weakness.
It can fit snugly under your clothing and is made to fit the natural curves of your body so that it will be unseen under most pieces of clothing.
The clavicle splint:
This back brace pulls your shoulder blades together, helping you to stand taller.
Rigid braces are known as lumbosacral orthoses because they help treat conditions of the lumbar spine and sacrum.
Rigid braces can be used to treat lower back pain, and are also commonly prescribed to stabilize the lumbar spine after surgery.
Corset braces are often prescribed to treat low back pain associated with: degenerative disc disease, trauma, fracture, and spinal deformity such as scoliosis. It can also be used to immobilize ones back after spine surgery.
This type of back posture belt is used for joint pain within the pelvic area, or for healing pelvic fractures.
Sacroiliac and lumbosacral belts:
Sacroiliac and lumbosacral belts are back braces that treat pain in the lumbar spine and sacrum and are the most commonly seen and used.
“Will a back brace help your posture and lower back pain?” The answer is, yes. However, using a back brace for a long period of time may weaken the opposing and core muscles that are not working when a back brace is worn.
In considering whether or not to use a back brace to help improve your posture and back pain, consider all the aforementioned factors, but most importantly, listen to your body, it is likely that it will tell you when and where it feels uncomfortable.
Finally, it is recommended that the use of a back brace be limited for a short period of time. Using a brace for a long period of time or for preventative reasons may put you back in the situation that you were trying to avoid.