All You Should Know About Acai Berry Side Effects
Overview of Acai Berry
Millions of people all over the world take dietary supplements in an effort to boost or maintain their health, but all these supplements have the capacity to cause side effects, and that is why it is necessary to take a cautious approach in including supplements to your plan. Acai berry supplements are no exception, and its supplements may cause side effects.
Acai berry is a small, edible, reddish-purple drupe consisting of a cluster of seeds. Acai, pronounced AH-sigh-EE, are also quite perishable, but have significant nutritional attributes when consumed as fruits or juice. Acai berries are considered top of the superfoods, owing to its incredible antioxidant properties, and numerous other health benefits.
How Acai Berry Works
Acai contains elements that are antioxidants in function. Antioxidants protects the body cells from the damaging effects of oxidation (chemical reactions with oxygen). According to some research, acai appear to have more antioxidant content than cranberry, raspberry, blackberry, strawberry, or blueberry.
Benefits of Acai Berry
- Powerful Antioxidant: The acai berry contains antioxidants that fight free radicals in the body. These free radicals can cause damage to human tissues and lead to a wide variety of medical disorders, including heart disease. The acai berry’s deep purple pigment is the source for its antioxidant benefits.
- Healthy Heart: Acai berries also have a large amount of plant sterols, which helps in widening and relaxing of blood vessels in order to reduce blood pressure, prevent blood clots that can lead to strokes and heart attacks, and generally improve the circulation and oxygenation of the blood particles.
- Immune Defense: Acai berries boost our immune system as they are very high in Vitamin C. consuming an acai based food when you feel a cold or flu coming, can give your immune system the healthy boost it needs to fight off the flu.
- Great skin: Many beauty products contain acai oil for its antioxidants properties. Consumption of acai berries or using them in skin care products are a wonderful natural way to get glowing skin.
- Energy Boost: there are claims of feeling more energized by many people, when they eat acai berry smoothies and capsules. This can be right since due to the overall health benefits of acai, consuming it can lead to an increased overall level of energy, and may help combat fatigue and exhaustion
- Weight Loss: The pulp of the acai berry can help in weight loss, as it not only stimulates weight loss, but can also help you maintain a healthy weight by reducing the negative impact of high-fat in your diets. The high fiber content of acai berries can also reduce appetite as well as reduction in calorie intake.
- Cancer Prevention: There exist an ellagic acid in acai berries that aids in the fight against cancerous cells. Acai being a wonderful source of vitamin-C, which is a well-known immunity booster can also generally improve your ability to fight off many diseases, including cancer.
Acai Berry Supplements
Below are some known Acai Berry Supplements:
- Vista nutrition acai berry capsules
- Vivid nutrition acai berry capsules
- Nature’s Bounty acai
- Kiva organic acai berry powder
Acai Berry Juices
- Da Yogis Immuno Acai (Natural juice concentrate)
- Acai berry & green tea by Mangajo
Side-Effects Of Acai Berry
Acai berry has garnered an immense popularity owing to its multitude of health benefits. Pure and natural Acai fruit juice and puree are generally free from any side effect, however, the addition of ingredients like caffeine, sugar, tobacco, and toxic fillers to Acai berry supplements can make it unsafe for consumption, and could have given rise to the following side effects:
- The powerful antioxidant function of acai compounds can also interfere with chemotherapy drug actions, so you should avoid acai berry products if you are under these medications.
- Consuming processed Acai berry supplements can lead to the buildup of toxins in the body, which can cause health problems like acne, Candida and fatigue.
- Acai berry supplements may contain herbs like garlic, gingko and Feverfew, which can cause thinning of the blood, leading to severe bleeding.
- Echinacea is an herb used in Acai supplement. It can cause liver inflammation, leading to liver damage. It may also result in suppression of the immune system if consumed for longer period.
- Underweight individuals should avoid consuming Acai berry as it suppresses appetite and promotes weight loss.
- The safety of acai berries during pregnancy has not been established, and they can cause some negative reactions in people allergic to acai plants.
- Much consumption of Acai berry enhances the effect of vasodilator in the body, causing reduction in the blood pressure, which can become fatal, especially for people who suffer from cardiac related health problems.
- Acai can block the effectiveness of cancer medications, and may affect the results of an MRI scan.
- Acai berry may allow the transmission of Chagas disease, since it may contain the remnants of a blood sucking insect called tritomines, which is native to South America, and carries a parasite called Trypanosoma cruzi. This parasite can transmit the Chagas disease.
- Some people who suffer from pollen allergies may have trouble with Acai products, as there have been reports that their allergies were aggravated by Acai berries.
- Lactating mothers should avoid consuming Acai supplements as it can be harmful to the infant.
- Acai berry can also cause diarrhea since it can irritate the colon and intestinal tract.
- Other side effects of Acai berrymay include headache, partial deafness and reduced or blurred vision.
- People, who are allergic to Acai or any other plant in the Arecaceae family, should abstain from consuming Acai berries.
- Acai berry supplements usually contain other ingredients such as caffeine. This means you may experience side effects from these other ingredients, even if the acai itself has no negative effect on you. Thus, check the product label and choose one that contains only acai berry as an active ingredient.
- In order to avoid any acai side effects, it is advised to stick with pure acai berry supplements.
- It is wise to consult your doctor whenever you start a new supplement program, especially if you have any medical conditions or have hereditary conditions such as asthma or allergies.
- Stick with the daily dose of 1,000 to 4,000 mg, depending also on the concentration of the supplement you are taking.
To conclude, Acai berry is an amazing fruit with incredible remedial properties and functions. However, the use of unhealthy additives and ingredients in the preservation process may have dilute its benefits, reason why it is recommended that you always consume Acai berries in its original form.